About National Instruments
National Instruments helps engineers and scientists overcome complexity to exceed even their own expectations.
From daily tasks to grand challenges, NI makes a positive impact by doing what it does best—applying engineering expertise towards critical societal issues and equipping customers with tools that accelerate innovation and discovery.
From healthcare and automotive to consumer electronics and particle physics, NI provides integrated hardware and software platforms to improve our world.
If you can turn it on, connect it, drive it, or launch it, chances are NI technology helped make it happen
About the Role
The National Instruments Software Team is seeking to hire a Software Engineer to work primarily on desktop software development. This is an excellent opportunity to practice and learn new skills in areas like integrated development environments, graphical and textual programming languages and editors, compilers, application user interfaces, development tools, application frameworks, high-performance and multi-core program execution, data visualization, network communication, real-time operating system services, numerical algorithms.
The software you create will be used by scientist, engineers, and other technical professionals to build systems that interact with the real world using measurement and control devices, such as data acquisition, motion, vision, and custom instrumentation, and that run on a wide range of computing devices, including desktops, laptops, servers, and tiny embedded and ruggedized computers.
You will enjoy the unique opportunity to take ownership of your products and be involved in all aspects of the product development cycle. Software Engineers find that NI’s relaxed and stimulating work environment, which includes working in small feature-focused teams, fosters the type of engineering innovation that leads to our many award-winning products.
- Work and interact with a wide variety of NI staff in R&D software and hardware organizations, as well as employees from other business groups, including Applications Engineering, Manufacturing, and Product Marketing
- Perform research as required to specify and develop or enhance your product, or define new products
- Specify, design, implement and test software features and capabilities for new and existing products
- Provide technical expertise and training to Applications Engineers, Product Support Engineers, Technical Writers, customers, or other persons who use and/or support your product
- Diagnose and debug problems with your product or problems arising when your product interacts or integrates with other NI products
- Review and approve product specifications and customer user documentation for the product
- Sc. Degree in Computer Science / Computer Software Engineering / Informatics / Computer Engineering/ Electrical Engineering / Software Engineering or related studies
- 1 - 5 years of industry experience as a software application programmer
- Strong understanding of computers and high-level programming languages
- Proficiency in Text Based Programming languages, preferably C/C++/C#, and development experience in application programming, knowledge on Data structures & Algorithms
- Strong understanding and experience of software design and architecture principles.
- Problem-solving, effectively diagnosing technical issues, and proposing reasonable solutions.
- Work effectively in a group development environment
- Take initiative, be a self-starter, and work independently
- Persistently drive tasks and projects to successful completion
- Take ownership of goals, project schedule
- Listen attentively and grasp fast-paced technical conversations
- Quickly learn applicable technology, systems, and products
- Passion for learning about and working with computer-industry technologies
- Strong work ethic and drive to succeed